Thursday 16 July 2015

Worry, One Of My Favourite Articles

Worry                                    
                                                                                          
Is there a magic cut off period when
offspring become accountable for their own
actions? Is there a wonderful moment when
parents can become detached spectators in
the lives of their children and shrug, "It's
their life," and feel nothing?

   When I was in my twenties, I stood in a hospital
corridor waiting for doctors to put a few
stitches in my son's head.  I asked, "When do
you stop worrying?"  The nurse said, "When
they get out of the accident  stage." My mother
just smiled faintly and said nothing.

    When I was  in my thirties, I sat on a little
chair in a classroom and heard how one of my
children talked incessantly, disrupted the class,
and was headed for a career making license plates.

    As if to read my mind, a teacher said, "Don't
worry, they all go through this stage and then you
can sit back, relax and enjoy them." My mother just
smiled faintly and said nothing.

   When I was in my forties, I spent a lifetime waiting
for the phone to ring, the cars to come home, the
front door to open.  A friend said, "They're trying to
find themselves.  Don't worry, in a few years, you can
stop worrying. They'll be adults." My mother just
smiled faintly and said nothing.

  
By the time I was 50, I was sick & tired of being
vulnerable. I was still worrying over my children, but
there was a new wrinkle there was nothing I could do
about it. My mother just smiled  faintly and said nothing.
I continued to anguish over their failures, be tormented
by their frustrations and absorbed in their disappointments.

  
My friends said that when my kids got married I could
stop worrying and lead my own life. I wanted to believe
that, but I was haunted by my mother's warm smile and her
occasional, "You look pale. Are you all right? Call me the
minute  you get home. Are you depressed about something?
"
   Can it be that parents are sentenced to a lifetime of worry?
Is concern for one another handed down like a torch to blaze
the trail of human frailties and the fears of the unknown? Is
concern a curse or is it a virtue that elevates us to the highest
form of life?
  
One of my children became quite irritable recently, saying to
me, "Where were you?  I've been calling for 3 days, and no
one answered. I was worried." I  smiled a warm smile.

The torch has been passed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews